The opinions/views presented in this blog are of the individual and do not reflect those of St Paul's College, University of Waterloo, or the Farmer's Union of Malawi.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

So much to do.... But where to start?

Every day I am thankful that I have been given the opportunity to further my education but at the same time I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the magnitude of it all. So many issues in every aspect of our lives that its hard to feel optimistic. My generation and those to come face many issues such as climate change, poverty, inequalities or even the loss of cultural identity for many. Continuously I am bombarded with the question, "What are you going to be doing after graduation?", but the reality is I have no idea. How can it be possible to pick just one cause when there is so much change needed?

For example, today alone I have encountered four of these issues, both national and global. By starting my day with reading the news I have already exposed myself to two issues. The various reports on Japan's current state as well as the arrest of two pedophiles from Canada who were connected to an international pedophile ring. Then upon my arrival at school I learn about the impact of urban landscapes on our environment as well as the economic costs of mitigating or adapting to climate change. This is just one day, it's hard to imagine everything I have been taught in my three years of university thus far. And it is even harder for me to imagine only picking one field in which I can try to make a difference.

But I've come to realize it isn't so much the wide range of issues but whether we even have it in us to change that is overwhelming me. In an era where there is so much knowledge about global issues it is disheartening that so many people still hold economic prosperity as the primary goal. Humanity is at a crucial point where change is necessary, we cannot continue on simply as is. The fundamentals of society need to change and I believe our generation has the knowledge, drive and ability to do so. It is no longer about choosing which feild I'd like to work in but learning to work together. As the Three Muskaters would say, "All for one and one for all".

No comments:

Post a Comment